As a part of the mouth, the teeth are constantly involved in eating, chewing, and drinking, meaning that it is basically impossible to avoid bacteria. If it is left to build up, bacteria lead to the formation of plaque and tartar, which eat away at tooth enamel, causing structural damage and limiting the comfort and effectiveness of oral functions. In short, tooth decay is a normal and expected oral health complication. Add in the potential for oral injuries and cosmetic blemishes, and the teeth are likely to require restorative dental treatment at some point. Dental crowns are caps that fit over the teeth to restore health, function, and aesthetics while protecting against future damage. Because of the wide applications of dental crowns, they are one of the most popular restorative dental treatments. Below are some of the porcelain crown benefits experienced by our Chicago patients:
- Improved health and strength: Dental crowns are available in multiple materials. Most of our patients prefer porcelain crowns because of their strength. The porcelain material used is nearly as strong as the natural tooth enamel. This adds strength to a tooth that has been weakened by damage and is strong enough to withstand the usual wear and tear that the teeth are constantly exposed to.
- Improved oral function: Teeth that are damaged or decayed are likely to cause discomfort to patients, making oral functions such as eating, chewing, and speaking more difficult. As teeth become weak, the structure of the mouth is also compromised, which further deteriorates oral functions. By restoring the strength and structure of the tooth, a porcelain crown can improve oral functions.
- Improved aesthetics: Porcelain crowns are custom-made for each patient so they can be fabricated to exact specifications as far as color, shape, and size are concerned. When placed over the tooth, a porcelain crown can erase flaws such as chips, cracks, or discoloration. This improves the appearance of a damaged tooth while maintaining a naturally beautiful smile.
- Preservation: Porcelain crown treatment restores a tooth before it progresses to the point of tooth loss. This allows patients to keep their natural teeth while preserving the healthy tooth enamel that remains.
- Protection: A porcelain crown completely encircles a tooth, protecting it on all sides. This creates a barrier between bacteria and the inner layers of the tooth. As such, a porcelain crown can protect the treated tooth from decay and infection.
- Durability: Because porcelain is such a strong material, these dental fabrications are extremely durable. With proper care and underexposure to regular wear and tear, porcelain veneers can last for 10 to 15 years.
- Comfort and convenience: Porcelain crowns fit very closely to the teeth, ensuring a comfortable, natural fit. Because of this, they are also very easy to care for. Porcelain crowns should be brushed, flossed, and generally cared for just as the natural teeth.
At Sugar Fix Dental, we want all of our patients to enjoy a healthy, beautiful smile. For patients who have suffered from oral injury or decay, porcelain crowns can make that healthy, beautiful smile a reality. If you are in need of restorative dental care, contact us to learn how we can rebuild the health, strength, and beauty of your smile. We look forward to hearing from you!