Canine dental care is incredibly important! Home dental hygiene can make a big difference in your dog’s comfort and health. What really matters is whether or not home oral hygiene will be provided over the long haul, so make it a habit, this will help you and Fido!
Do I Need to Brush My Dog’s Teeth?
Yes! Home dental care is one of the best ways to help keep your dog’s teeth and gums healthy, just like us. Start as early as possible in your furry friend’s life so they will become accustomed to the brushing process. (TIP: if you bathe them at home, this is a good time.)
What should I use to brush my dog’s teeth?
Use a wet canine toothbrush
with soft bristles, you can also use a child’s toothbrush, a finger toothbrush, gauze around a finger or a wash cloth.
Do I need to use a special toothpaste to brush my dog’s teeth?
Pet toothpaste, often flavored like poultry, malt and other dog-friendly varieties, is your best option. Never use human toothpaste, baking soda or salt. While safe for you, these cleaning agents can be harmful to your dog if swallowed.
At-home teeth cleaning tips
Keep the following tips in mind to make the process easier for you and more comfortable for your dog:
1. Do NOT use human toothpaste, these can make them very sick. Instead, use pet-safe toothpaste with a flavor favorable to your dog’s taste buds.
2. Let your dog try a small taste of the toothpaste to introduce it.
3. Gently raise the lip so you can see your dog’s gums and teeth.
4. Brush with gentle circular, motions to clean the teeth and gums.
5. Clean the outside (cheek-facing) surfaces, as most pets will not allow you to brush the inside surface of the teeth.
6. Be sure to reach the back upper molars and long canine teeth, as these tend to quickly build up tartar.
7. Reward your dog with play, petting or a favorite activity to positively reinforce the brushing process.
Sugar Fix Dental Loft LOVES your furry friends!
Did you know that The Doctor insists on keeping a bowl of fresh water outside our doors for our neighbors that pass by our doors? If you’d like to come inside, we also keep organic dog treats as well! Stop by sometime and see us with your furry friend!