For many years now, braces have been the mainstay of orthodontic treatment, helping patients straighten their teeth effectively and reliably. And while braces remain at the forefront of orthodontics, they can also make teenagers and adults self-conscious about their appearance. Fortunately, modern alternatives may provide similar results to traditional braces, with greater subtlety and a shorter timeframe. Six Month Smiles® is one such treatment option, which can provide a range of cosmetic and practical benefits for the right patients. If you are looking to straighten your teeth discreetly and quickly, our Chicago office may be able to help. Take a moment to consider who makes a good candidate for Six Month Smiles® before visiting our office for a personal evaluation.
What Is Six Month Smiles®?
Six Month Smiles® is similar to traditional braces, but with a few key differences. Like regular braces, this treatment utilizes brackets and wires to gradually shift teeth into place. However, rather than using conspicuous metallic parts that make your braces stand out, Six Month Smiles® employs clear brackets and tooth-colored wires, making treatment far more cosmetically pleasing. Additionally, only visible teeth that require straightening are affected, so the treatment timetable tends to be far shorter than that for full braces.
Problems Corrected by Six Month Smiles®
Six Month Smiles® can correct many of the same problems as traditional braces or other orthodontic alternatives. In most cases, the following issues can be effectively addressed through treatment:
- Teeth that are crowded together
- Gaps between teeth
- Individually cowed teeth
- Mild rotations
In general, Six Month Smiles® seeks to correct crowed or misalignment toward the front of the mouth. This typically includes the front teeth (incisors) or canines, which comprise the most visible part of a smile. So long as the problems are not too severe or do not greatly affect one’s molars, Six Month Smiles® offers comparable results to other orthodontic options.
Candidates for Six Month Smiles®
Six Month Smiles®can help many patients who might otherwise be considering regular braces, offering similar results with additional advantages. Specifically, patients may be good candidates for treatment if they have some or all of the following qualities:
- Mild to moderate crowded: Six Month Smiles® works much in the same that normal braces do, but because they are applied together via a tray – and not individually by an orthodontist – they may not provide adequate results for patients with severely crowded teeth. Therefore, patients with mild to moderately crowded teeth are the best candidates for treatment.
- Cosmetic concerns: Six Month Smiles® is generally viewed as a cosmetic treatment for patients who simply want a more attractive smile. If you have severe or complex bite problems that can result in additional dental complications, you may require more conventional orthodontic treatment.
- A desire for discreet treatment: One of Six Month Smiles’® greatest benefits is that it blends in with the natural color of your teeth, and will therefore not be a distraction as you smile, talk, or laugh with friends and co-workers.
- A desire for expedited treatment: Six Month Smiles®can produce straighter teeth in a shorter timeline than alternative treatments, and it does not sacrifice comfort or efficacy to do so. If you need a straight smile and don’t want to prolong the amount of time you’re wearing braces, you are likely a good candidate for Six Month Smiles®.
- Grown-in adult teeth: Treatment is usually reserved for patients whose adult teeth have fully grown in. For most patients, this means being older than 15 years of age.
Schedule a Consultation
Six Month Smiles® is not only cosmetically appealing and efficient, but it also tends to be cheaper than full braces as well. Of course, any candidate for dental or orthodontic treatment should first be assessed by an experienced professional. If you’d like to learn more about which treatment options are best suited to your needs, contact our office to schedule a consultation today.