Straight teeth are one of the primary factors in an attractive smile. These days, more people than ever are receiving orthodontic treatment for straighter, more even teeth. However, slight crookedness rarely warrants full orthodontics, while still negatively impacting the aesthetics of a smile. To help our Chicago patients achieve the look they want without cumbersome and time-consuming braces, we offer instant orthodontics through porcelain veneers. Here’s what you need to know about this cosmetic procedure to determine whether it may be right for you.
How Do Instant Orthodontics Work?
“Instant orthodontics” refers to the use of multiple porcelain veneers over crooked teeth. By cementing thin layers of porcelain to the outer surfaces of teeth, a smile can be effectively enhanced in both shape and color. Although veneers can be used on any number of teeth, instant orthodontics usually involves resurfacing those that are most visible in your smile. Of course, if you are only looking to correct one or two crooked teeth, treatment can be confined to those alone.
Candidates for Instant Orthodontics
Because porcelain veneers only correct the shape of your smile, and not the position of teeth themselves, instant orthodontics should be reserved for cases of mild to moderate crookedness. Candidates should therefore have healthy teeth and no significant bite misalignment. While slight overbites, underbites, and similar malocclusions should be okay, severely crooked or misaligned teeth should be corrected through traditional braces or Invisalign®.
Additionally, teeth should be free of disease and decay. In the event a tooth forms a cavity after receiving a porcelain veneer, the veneer will almost certainly have to be removed in order to perform restorative treatment. Thus, the best candidates for instant orthodontics have a good history of dental health, and will continue a positive hygiene regimen at home and through professional exams.
The Instant Orthodontics Procedure
If you and your cosmetic dentist agree that instant orthodontics are a good choice for you, the porcelain veneers will be installed as follows:
- First, teeth will be prepared for impressions: a thin layer of enamel will be removed from the front surface of each tooth to receive a veneer. This is ultimately needed for the veneer to be placed without increasing the tooth’s depth.
- Once teeth have been prepared, impressions will be taken of them, to be used as a mold for the veneers.
- Our in-office milling machine can craft your porcelain veneers on the spot as you wait. Traditionally, patients would have to wait days or weeks for veneers to arrive from a lab. Thanks to our CAD/CAM technology, you can receive your permanent restorations in a single visit. We also send them to our cosmetic lab; depends on the case.
- When your veneers are finished, they will be tested for a precise fit and subsequently cemented in place. Once they’ve bonded with your teeth, your new smile will be complete.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
Instant orthodontics utilize one of the most natural looking and durable dental materials available. By using porcelain veneers for cosmetic treatment, you gain multiple benefits:
- Realistic appearance: Porcelain is an excellent replacement for enamel, capturing its reflective and textural qualities almost perfectly.
- Color matching capability: Porcelain is created in a number of shades to match nearly any type of tooth. Your veneers will blend in naturally with the color of your smile.
- Stain resistance: Porcelain does not stain as easily as natural teeth or other tooth-colored restorations. With regular hygiene, your veneers can remain the same color as they are when you receive them.
- Durability: With proper care, porcelain restorations are cited as lasting up to 15 years. However, some patients are able to retain their veneers for decades with little sign of wear or discoloration.
- Correction of multiple flaws: As useful as veneers are for straightening your smile, they are equally effective in the concealment of other cosmetic flaws. Chips, stains, and gaps between teeth are other common reasons for veneers, all of which can be simultaneously fixed. By receiving instant orthodontics, you are also improving the overall quality of your smile.
How Can You Benefit from Instant Orthodontics?
Come in for a consultation to learn whether instant orthodontics are your best treatment option. We are eager to assist you in all of your dental needs, cosmetic or otherwise. Contact our office to inquire further or to set up an appointment with Dr. Emery.