Porcelain veneers can have a huge impact on your smile, concealing a variety of flaws and even correcting the shape of your teeth. With proper care, veneers can last a decade or more, but they are not permanent enhancements. Fortunately, at our Chicago practice, Dr. Jessica T. Emery offers porcelain veneers replacement. Whether you received your veneers at our office or elsewhere, she is ready to restore your smile with new custom-created enhancements. Call Sugar Fix Dental Loft today to learn more or to schedule your veneers replacement.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
When you choose to enhance your smile with veneers, you will receive porcelain restorations that are custom-made to match your teeth. Your dentist will attach the porcelain to the front of the teeth that show when you grin, essentially creating a new façade for your smile. Porcelain veneers can correct a number of concerns, including:
- Chips and cracks
- Stains, particularly intrinsic discoloration
- Gaps in your smile
- Misshapen or worn teeth
- Slightly crooked teeth
Why You May Want to Replace Your Veneers
Although these restorations can enhance your smile and give you a renewed sense of confidence, there are several reasons why you may need or want to replace your porcelain veneers:
- Broken veneers: While dental porcelain is extremely durable, it is not as strong as natural enamel. A broken veneer will mar your smile and reveal the underlying layer of dentin, which will not be as white as the porcelain.
- Missing veneers: If your veneer comes off entirely, it will have similar cosmetic results. You will also need to replace your veneer to restore your full dental functionality.
- Dental decay: Of course, porcelain is not susceptible to decay, but your teeth still are. If you have a cavity, Dr. Emery will need to remove your old veneer before she can place a filling.
- Discoloration: Although porcelain is resistant to staining, the bonding material can become discolored. This can give the edge of your tooth a yellowed, unnatural appearance. With time, the veneers themselves can also lose their luster and become stained.
- Poor initial placement: If you are unhappy with the appearance of your veneers, you may want to replace them entirely. Dr. Emery is extremely experienced in the placement of veneers, and her patients are consistently pleased with the results. However, she will certainly replace your veneers if you are dissatisfied with them in any way. She can also correct your restorations if you visited another practice for your initial treatment.
How Porcelain Veneers Replacement Works
Getting your veneers replaced is very similar to receiving them for the first time. After removing a tiny layer of enamel, Dr. Emery will take impressions of your teeth, which lab technicians will use to create veneers that harmonize with your smile. When the veneers are finished, Dr. Emery will lightly etch your teeth and apply the restorations using dental cement.
If you have a diminished tooth structure, you may not be a candidate for veneers replacement. In this situation, Dr. Emery will recommend an alternative procedure such as crowns or dental bonding. No matter what option you choose, she will make sure you receive treatment that will protect your teeth and provide a lifelike appearance.
Need to Replace Your Veneers?
If a damaged veneer is affecting your smile or if you received less than satisfactory cosmetic treatment at another practice, Dr. Emery is ready to restore your smile and self-confidence. Call our office today to learn more about porcelain veneers replacement and schedule your initial consultation.